Workplace Health Promotion
In the Luxembourg Declaration (PDF 0.2 MB) the members of the network agreed on a common understanding of Workplace Health Promotion:
Workplace Health Promotion (WHP) is the combined efforts of employers, employees and society to improve the health and well-being of people at work.
This can be achieved through a combination of:
- improving the work organisation and the working environment
- promoting active participation
- encouraging personal development.
- Having an organisational commitment to improving the health of the workforce
- Providing employees with appropriate information and establishing comprehensive communication strategies
- Involving employees in decision making processes
- Developing a working culture that is based on partnership
- Organising work tasks and processes so that they contribute to, rather than damage, health
- Implementing policies and practices which enhance employee health by making the healthy choices the easy choices
- Recognising that organisations have an impact on people and that this is not always conducive to their health and well-being
The areas of activity for WHP include life-styles, ageing, corporate culture including staff leadership, staff development, work-life balance, mental health and stress, wellness, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), nutrition and health.